Whenever we want to start a new blog, the biggest problem we all face that selecting a reliable hosting provider for our blog.
The bad host can cause many problems. Suppose, If the web hosting’s server response time and uptime are not good, then it leads to slow down the site which is not a good sign. So, it is important to choose the best web hosting provider for our site.
Somebody recommend or reject any web hosting just by comparing price or features they offered.
Do you think this is enough?
Here, I am going to share HostGator web hosting Review with pros and cons along with Uptime Score and Server Speed Test.
Before going further, I conclude that this site hosted on HostGator, I wrote all those things which attracted me to host there, and here I am sharing my personal experience with Hostgator.
About HostGator, The Company
HostGator is the most popular web hosting provider in the world that hosts over 8 million Domains. It was founded by Brent Oxley in a dorm room at Atlantic University in October 2002.
From June 21, 2012, HostGator becomes a part of Endurance International Group (EIG).EIG also owns some other well-known hosting brands including BlueHost, iPage, HostMonster, FatCow, Arvixe, Domain.com and so on.
HostGator received many awards for best web hosting and raises the bar of web hosting for speed, reliability, and support. In 2009, it was recognized as 239th Inc.5000 fastest growing compony in America.
Moreover, HostGator is a certified Green Web Host. According to officials, Hostgator purchases Climate-Friendly, wind-powered, certified Renewable Energy Credits (RECs) to help offset server emissions.
Hostgator Web Hosting Plans
HostGator offers three different web hosting plans named as Hatchling, Baby and Business Plan to meet every webmaster need.
- Hatchling Plan is a Basic Plan that offers only single domain hosting, and also, you cannot purchase a Dedicated IP.
- Baby Plan is the most popular among this three plans that provide multiple domains Hosting, and you can buy Dedicated IP.
- As for Business plan, you can get more extra features over Baby plan including Private SSL, Dedicated hosting IP as well as the toll-free number for your business, with 100 free minutes.
Which Hosting Plan to choose?
Don’t get confused. The answer is simple if you want to stick with only one domain then Hatchling Plan is ok. If you need a Private SSL with dedicated IP and toll-free number, then go with the business plan.
However, I recommend Baby hosting plan, because you can host multiple domains at no extra cost and can get a Dedicated IP by just paying $2/month extra.
Note: All the above plans come with unlimited Bandwidth, subdomains, and webmails.
However, you may upgrade anytime to a better Plan, and the best thing is it is entirely free.
To upgrade, you do not need to prepare anything, just submit your request using Upgrade Form and they will take care of the rest.
HostGator Web Hosting Features
All plans in HostGator Shared Web Hosting offer you some cool features that tempt you to try their hosting services. So here I am providing the list of some basic features.
- Unmetered Disk Space and Bandwidth; That means you will not be charged according to the amount of DiskSpace or Bandwidth you used.
- 99.9% uptime Guarantee and offers no contract full 45 days money back guarantee.
- Unlimited Sub-Domains; You can add many subdomains to your primary Domain ( if your primary Domain is primarydomain.com then your subdomain will be sub.primarydomain.com ). However, Baby and Business Hosting plans allow for unlimited domains to host on one single account.
- Unlimited Webmail accounts with unlimited email forwarding and auto responder. Also, Prevent spam with SpamAssassin.
- Hotlink Protection.
- Unlimited FTP (File Transfer Protocol) Accounts; having multiple FTP accounts allow you to give friends or employee their own account so they will access to your site as you choose.
- Supports Unlimited MySQL Databases with phpMyAdmin access.
- Flexible and easy to use cPanel that lets you monitor stats like error logs, the amount of data and bandwidth used, and also allows you to create subdomains and email addresses instantly.
- Easy WordPress installation with Quickinstaller.
- Provides some free website templates and free website building tools
- Free transfer of site files, databases, scripts, and also transfer one domain registration to your new hosting account.
- Allow free upgrading to a better plan
- Automatic weekly off-site backups and also gives you the option to make an instant backup of your entire cPanel account.
- 24/7 premium support via Live Chat, Phone, and Ticket system (Email).
- Instant shopping carts like osCommers and ZenCart that allows to setup maintain and run an online store with minimum efforts and no
HostGator Review – what I like the most
99.9% Uptime Guarantee
Uptime is the time that a server has stayed up, running and available to your visitors. This is the crucial point to consider while choosing a hosting provider.
For all shared and reseller web hosting, Hostgator offers 99.9% of Uptime Guarantee. That means if Your site is not up 99.9% in any one month they will issue service credit to your account for the full month. This guarantee includes both network and server failure. For more info about Uptime Guarantee, please visit company’s TOS (clause 15).
HostGator site Uptime Score
Currently, I am using Hostgator’s Baby Plan (shared web hosting). You can see the uptime score of my site. I am using Uptime Robot to analyze my server uptime. The present uptime count of my server is 100% which is a great thing.
Note: The above stats may change time by time. However, when I get results rather than 100%, I will share it on this post.
HostGator server Speed test
We love speed, on the internet, every millisecond counts. Google also concluded that site speed is an important factor for Search engine ranking.
It is our responsibility to make our site load faster. So always choose the hosting provider with better server speed.
Don’t get confuse this with site load time which depends on several factors like codes, Caching, Content Delivery Network used and theme and plugins you used. Server speed test analyses the response time of your web hosting that depends on the quality of its network and hardware.
I am using Bitcatcha tool to check my Hostgator server speed (analyze the data from eight different regions and gives the complete Global picture).
According to Bitcatcha, the ideal rating is A or A+ at a minimum of B+. However, most of the time I got A (or) A+ rating.
Note: the test relies heavily on network stability across the globe, which is impossible for a network to be 100% stable all the time. That means result can vary at different times. So I suggest you repeat the test.
45 Days Money Back Guarantee
If you are not satisfied with their services within 45 days, you will get a full refund of the contract amount. To receive a full refund, you need to provide the applicable refund request within 90 days of cancellation.
24*7 Customer Support
I must say Hostgator has the best customer support. Their support staff available 24*7 to assist you via phone, Live Chat or email with any hosting related issues. Sometimes they will help you even with technical issues wich is not related to web hosting.
I have an experience with their customer support. Previously I had a problem with my theme function.php file and I were unable to login to my site admin, then I contacted to Hostgator support via Live Chat, The problem got fixed instantly within 10 min. I also shot some other question at Live Chat, and they connected with me more than one hour to solve all my queries.
It also has the support portal with more than 500 video tutorial and 680 help articles to find a quick answer to your questions.
HostGator offers many hosting services for everyone needs that includes shared web hosting, VPS hosting, and Dedicated hosting with different levels. So in future when you need higher package you can easily upgrade as your site grows.
Comfortable Billing Cycle
Yes, HostGator Billing Cycle is very comfortable compared to others. You can start your online business by just paying one-month hosting charges.
For other web hosting provider, you need to pay a minimum one-year service fee in advance that means you have to spend 12X more money to start blogging. For most of the newbie blogger, it is hard to arrange that much money at a time.
Moreover, you can change your billing cycle frequency as you want at any time.
Cons about Hostgator and what need to improve
Slow customer support
Ok., I already mention that the HostGator customer service is excellent. Yes, their staffs are very knowledgeable and helpful, but it took more time to reach them. If you contacted them via Live Chat, it often takes 20-30 minutes to get connected. Even the wait time is more for tickets system(Email), which is usually 3 hours. However, you can get connected quickly via telephone.
Pricy domain names
Hostgator sells domain names, even directly via cPanel, but they are very pricey compared to other domain companies.
It is normal because Hostgator is hosting company not a domain company.
However, it is not a big issue; you can purchase a domain name from GoDaddy or Namecheap and easily point your domain name to HostGator.
Note: Till now I have not faced any other problems with HostGator, but whenever it occurs, I will update this post.
If you are looking for a reliable, affordable and powerful web hosting, then you can go with HostGator. It is reputed company with more than 8 million domains hosted. Even though this site also hosted on HostGator. They have few cons, but every shared hosting company has some cons.
If you like this Hostgator review, then do share with others. In case, you have any queries about web hosting, feel free to ask via the comment section below. If you are Hostgator user, then share your experience with us.